only child
Create Post

Thread: only child

only child

Are you still allowed to sign up if you're an only child and get deployed?

Well, you can't be an only child and get deployed if you don't sign up- so the question doesn't really make sense to me. But, yes you can be an only child- I am.

haha oh ok good
    well like I heard that they wouldn't let only childs sign up.
    And when you are actually signed up, can you still get deployed?
    because I kno a Marine who was an only child and he never got deployed because he was an only child

If there is any question the answer is there is always waivers.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I think the Wrestler is referring to the "SOLE SURVIVING SON" regulation. By definition, that will keep you out of cambat! But the definition is very clear and being the ONLY CHILD doesn't always qualify you as such! Check with your recruiter about the exemption, ok?

Oh, ok
    Thank you
    That was good help
    yeah because I wouldn't mind going to combat.
    But its not like I WANT to go.
    But thanks I will ask my recruiter

Quote Originally Posted by 119Wrestler
    haha oh ok good
    well like I heard that they wouldn't let only childs sign up.
    And when you are actually signed up, can you still get deployed?
    because I kno a Marine who was an only child and he never got deployed because he was an only child
    No you don't. He may go around telling people that, but it isn't true. You do not good to the Marine Corps if you can't do your job. They wouldn't let you in only to tell you that you can't deploy. If your unit goes, you go- end of story. Nobody cares if you're an only child or if you have 83 brothers. Now, if you have brothers in the military that die and you are the last one- then things change. But, you still would not remain in the USMC without being able to deploy unless there was a job you could do that would help the Marine Corps.

I am an only child, joined and will deploy in July 2007. Do I want to deploy, yes. Would I stay if they said I could, no. Do not want to be one of those Marines that have spent a couple of terms in the Corps and have never deployed. Marine go where they are needed, and so will I. VMAQ-2 DEATH JESTERS!!

Only child

I am the only child and was sent to Nam. Never was asked about siblings. It's a different story if you're the Sole Surviving Son. In other words, if you had brothers killed in the service and you're the only one left to carry on the name, then you probably wouldn't get sent into combat.

If you are "an only child" you do not have to go to a combat zone. I am a only child and yes I was given that option 2 times but I turned it down. Now as far as the " SOLE SURVIVING SON". that was never past by congrus(sp) and it does not mean a thing. The defence department will always go to the wishes of a familey. The goverment has clasified that the only chiled and the sole surviving son in the same group.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sole Surviving Son or Daughter

From Rod Powers,
    Your Guide to U.S. Military.

Contrary to popular belief, "only sons," "the last son to carry the family name," and "sole surviving sons" must register for the draft, they can be drafted, and they can serve in combat. However, they may be entitled to a peacetime deferment if there is a military death in the immediate family.
    Provisions regarding the survivors of veterans were written into Selective Service law after World War II. Details have varied over the years, but the basic premise remains the same; where a family member has been lost as a result of military service, the remaining family members should be protected insofar as possible.
    It is important to keep in mind that the provisions are directly related to service-connected deaths. The mere fact that a man is the only child or only son does not qualify him for consideration - he must be the survivor of one who died as a result of military service.
    The present law provides a peacetime exemption for anyone whose parent or sibling was killed in action, died in line of duty, or died later as a result of disease or injury incurred in line of duty while serving in the armed forces of the United States.
    zSB(3,3)

Also included are those whose parent or sibling is in a captured or missing status as a result of service in the armed forces during any period of time. This is known as the "surviving son or brother" provision. A man does not have to be the only surviving son in order to qualify; if there are four sons in a family and one dies in the line of duty, the remaining three would qualify for surviving son or brother status under the present law. The surviving son or brother provision is applicable only in peacetime. It does not apply in time of war or national emergency declared by the Congress.
    The original law, passed in 1948, exempted the sole surviving son of a family where one or more sons or daughters died as a result of military service. No restriction existed at that time to limit the exemption to peacetime. The provision was intended to protect families which had lost a member in World War II.
    In 1964, recognizing that sons of World War II veterans were reaching draft age, Congress changed the law to include the sole surviving son of a family where the father, or one or more sons or daughters, died as a result of military service. At this time the peacetime-only restriction was also added to the law.
    A further change was made in 1971, expanding the exemption to any son, not necessarily the sole surviving son, of a family where the father, brother or sister died as a result of military service. This provision was recently expanded to include mother

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sole Surviving Son or Daughter

From Rod Powers,
    Your Guide to U.S. Military.

Contrary to popular belief, "only sons," "the last son to carry the family name," and "sole surviving sons" must register for the draft, they can be drafted, and they can serve in combat. However, they may be entitled to a peacetime deferment if there is a military death in the immediate family.
    Provisions regarding the survivors of veterans were written into Selective Service law after World War II. Details have varied over the years, but the basic premise remains the same; where a family member has been lost as a result of military service, the remaining family members should be protected insofar as possible.
    It is important to keep in mind that the provisions are directly related to service-connected deaths. The mere fact that a man is the only child or only son does not qualify him for consideration - he must be the survivor of one who died as a result of military service.
    The present law provides a peacetime exemption for anyone whose parent or sibling was killed in action, died in line of duty, or died later as a result of disease or injury incurred in line of duty while serving in the armed forces of the United States.
    zSB(3,3)

Also included are those whose parent or sibling is in a captured or missing status as a result of service in the armed forces during any period of time. This is known as the "surviving son or brother" provision. A man does not have to be the only surviving son in order to qualify; if there are four sons in a family and one dies in the line of duty, the remaining three would qualify for surviving son or brother status under the present law. The surviving son or brother provision is applicable only in peacetime. It does not apply in time of war or national emergency declared by the Congress.
    The original law, passed in 1948, exempted the sole surviving son of a family where one or more sons or daughters died as a result of military service. No restriction existed at that time to limit the exemption to peacetime. The provision was intended to protect families which had lost a member in World War II.
    In 1964, recognizing that sons of World War II veterans were reaching draft age, Congress changed the law to include the sole surviving son of a family where the father, or one or more sons or daughters, died as a result of military service. At this time the peacetime-only restriction was also added to the law.
    A further change was made in 1971, expanding the exemption to any son, not necessarily the sole surviving son, of a family where the father, brother or sister died as a result of military service. This provision was recently expanded to include mothers.

Oh ok
    thanks.

Thread Information